13 June 2013

Mrs John goes mobile!


We thought we'd have a go at a scooter. Traffic can be quite bad here and peak "hour" is around 07:30 - 09:00 and then around 16:00 - 17:30.  Don't get me wrong, we're happy to walk and there are taxis but we thought it might be more fun to have our own transport at hand and thought hiring one would be a good way to find out whether a scooter is for us.


Driving back from the hire shop was quite an experience - I can't really believe they let me hire one given the skills I was demonstrating!  Now, before I launch into my trip home, I think I need to explain how driving is treated here.  Firstly, they drive on the left - easy peasy then you're thinking.  Well think again! Lane markings are apparently guidance, much like the rest of the road rules.  You can turn left at traffic lights at any time (even if they're red).  Overtaking, undertaking - anything goes.  Frustrated that the red light is on too long when you want to turn right, no worries, turn left, chuck a U-turn and Bob's your uncle!  Add this to the fact that I'm not overly familiar with the layout of the town and it turned into quite an interesting trip.

First off, curb crawling - no not that sort!  I did this regularly on the way home so that I wasn't in the traffic too much and I could pull over if it all got a bit much.  I pulled over the once to try and orientate myself as to where I needed to go next.  I realised I had to turn right up ahead and there were 2.5 lanes of traffic going on.  I decided the best course of action was to turn left at the intersection and turn around.  Fortunately, it was a nice big road and there was shade on the left hand side.  Stopped again and waited until I could turn around.  There's a roundabout on the way home and managed that with little trouble and also managed to use the smaller back roads.  In days gone by I've heard that some women (typical stereotyping) would drive out of their way in order to only turn left because they couldn't face turning right.  My standard response was, well give your licence back then.....never judge someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes!  I did manage to turn right a few times but will confess if there was an alternative, I took it. 

I can tell you 30+ years driving a car does not prepare you for riding a motor scooter anywhere in Thailand!  I will keep you up to date with the week's hire and hopefully not from a hospital bed! 

Mr John used the scooter after dinner last night to try it out. 
Went round the block looking like a professional...grrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome