09 August 2013

Did you guess the fruit?

Once peeled, as this one is here, you eat the whole thing
So last week I asked you to guess the fruit and I can tell you it's a Farang.  Now this might be a little confusing as farang in Thai means westerner.  Tom, our lovely corner shop owner, often tells the little kids that visit to say hello to the farang whilst pointing at us.  Mr John and I secretly think he's got a little business on the side and charges 5 baht for it!!

Farang is a guava fruit and, as is often the case with fruit here, extremely good for you.  Grown on trees, it is slightly larger than an apple and has a similar taste - slightly sour overtones - and I really enjoyed it.

This weekend is Mothers Day in Thailand (it ties in with the Queens birthday on Monday) and means a long weekend for Mr John which we will be spending it in Bangkok.  I'll let you know how we got on next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome