30 December 2013

Ho, ho, ho!!!

Whilst most people will, by now, be totally over the festive period we are still going strong.  I guess this is mostly because Mr John started some holidays on Friday.  The school is now closed for New Year festivities and won't re-open until next Thursday.  He's already pretty chilled out and it's so nice to see his stress and (slightly) short temper have disappeared.  Marvellous what new living arrangements can do!


Although Mr John was working, we enjoyed Christmas dinner with very good friends.  It was not very fancy - I bought some ready cooked chicken from the supermarket - but I spent Christmas eve making potato salad (a Mr John favourite) using the new camping gas ring.  Boy that thing is efficient!  For dessert we had orange jelly, vanilla pod ice-cream with smashed Maltesers sprinkled over the top.  The whole thing seemed to go down a treat and, for a school night, was quite a late evening.

I really enjoyed myself maybe because I was thinking it wouldn't be quite the same as we're used to.  I stood in our hallway mid-morning after we'd opened our presents and Mr John had left for school, wishing myself a Merry Christmas out loud.  It seemed quite sad and I've told Mr John he's not to work that day again, that he has to take a days holiday if needed.  I needn't have worried though, as I say, I really enjoyed our "soiree" and it was great to find the Muppets Christmas Carol on TV the night before.  So all in all a good day. 

Lovely to open presents from friends and family overseas as well as our own but, as always, it's the people in your life (not the stuff and things) that make high days and holidays so special.  We hope your festivities were equally enjoyable and I'll speak to you next year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome