27 January 2014

Stuff and things

Can you spot the error?
My days seem to be all over the shop at the moment.  Maybe this is what happens to you when you don't have work to fill your day?  Our weekend has been pretty low key, you know, the usual rounds of coffee, cake, bit of eating out.  Most of our time is being spent planning for our first international visitor.  We're both really excited that Leon is coming to visit and are just sorry it's only eleven days.  He and Mr John first met when they were three years old.


We've planned a weekend in Bangkok when he arrives followed by three days here with me whilst Mr John works.  Then they are both off to Koh Chang for a "lads" long weekend (can you call it that when they're both of a certain age?).  Then we all have a day together before he leaves.  It'll be off to Pu Nim at Khlung to sample the local delights - I hope he doesn't get river sick... So you see, it'll be pretty action packed but we think there's enough down time for him so he at least goes back feeling like he's had a holiday.

Meanwhile, here in Thailand, the Bangkok shutdown continues.  This Sunday, February 2nd, is election day.  Now, if you're not going to be in your home town on that day (maybe because of work or holiday) you can vote early.   The protestors have already started picketing polling stations, both in the capital and in the provinces, and in some cases have chained the doors shut.  The pictures on TV are still very interesting (though the language barrier continues) and we were a little concerned about being in Bangkok a week on Friday, but there are distinct areas where the protestors are camping out (and which we intend to avoid) so I don't think there'll be any issues over our safety. 

If you interested in reading about the situation I would suggest the Bangkok Post website.  It's the best place I've found, so far, to read about what's happening in the country.

And tomorrow, I'm off to the immigration office as I have to report every 90 days that I'm still in the country (as do all non-nationals).  It's my first trip so I'm hoping they won't reject me!  Mr John says it's a quick, painless visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome