02 April 2014

Curry Night

such an easy recipe - give it a try
So I really need to tell you about the dinner I made last Friday.  It was a simple chicken curry which I found on the BBC food website from the Hairy Bikers.  The electric frypan we bought which really is a "quick" slow cooker was perfect for this recipe.

That left me time to make the accompanying roti bread.  You do get fed up of rice here and Mr John had been banging on about a curry for quite a while, so I kept my dinner a secret but thought including Wicus would be a good idea.  Well it was a good idea until 3:30am when we were all still up...


Making the roti was a bit of a challenge.  Not because I can't cook or follow a recipe (though admittedly it was the first time I'd ever made them) but because of the heat of the day and my lack of rolling pin.  I can hear you all telling me what I could use as an alternative
  1. a beer bottle but all I had in the fridge was a can and Mr John doesn't drink 'til Friday evenings
  2. a water bottle except ours are of the square variety
  3. kitchen towel inner tube except we don't use these here and there's no way I'm putting toilet roll inner tubes anywhere near my food
So what to use....I know....my thermos mug yes, the lovely pink one that Mr John bought me for Christmas when I hate pink and he though it was blue because that was the colour on one, yes only one, side of the  box*.  The draw back of this was the top part where the lid sits, is wider than the body so I had to do the rolling with the "lip" of the thing hanging over the edge of the table. 



















The result?  Well, the thicker ones were a little bit doughy and they weren't at all round but they went down a treat and actually, all in all, tasted quite good.  Dinner was a big hit with both guys (there was even potato in with the chicken) and the yummy ice-cream that Wicus bought for dessert went un-eaten that evening.  Marvellous how a decent chunk of meat, root vegetable and bread can fill you up better than rice.
* actually I love the whole story and especially my pink mug

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome