28 May 2014

Classroom Scrabble

I recently made a set of Scrabble tiles for Mr John to use with his students and thought I ought to share it with you.  I love doing creative things and had visions when I "retired" of doing all sorts.  The heat and humidity here make it a bit harder both from a concentration level and acquiring the necessary materials.   So I was very excited to get stuck into this project.
I should point out that this idea is not my own.  I found it on the Fun English Games site.

What you need:
10 x A4 sheets of card
Scissors (or paper cutter)
Marker Pen
Drawstring bag for storage

Because I love scrap-booking, I have a paper trimmer and it's durable enough to use for this thick card.  If you don't have one, check with a friend that has hobbies like card making, you might just be able to borrow it.  It certainly makes the job easier. 

The "tiles" need to be 7cm x 7cm.

I chose a card thickness of 500 gsm.  This is pretty thick and should be able to withstand the usage!



I chose to make 100 tiles, though you can do less, but with Mr John having a class of 40 I thought it best to ensure that when the children had a tile in their hands, there should be at least one in the bag ready for the next round.

An A4 sheet of paper measures 210mm x 297mm.  This means you can get 12 tiles from each sheet of card (4 down and 3 across). 

Mark up the long side of the sheet, using a ruler, with pencil marks I used a small dot at 7cm, 14cm, 21cm and 28cm.  You will have a small piece of card to trim off. 

The short side of the sheet means there's no excess with marks at 7cm and 14 cm

If you're using scissors, draw feint pencil lines across the card to ensure you get a straight cut.  If you're using a cutter, there's no need to do this as the dot will line up with the slicer

Once you've cut your tiles, you can start labelling them.  You could use a ruler or a stencil of the alphabet to ensure your letters are perfect but I chose the home made look and just wrote on them.

A cloth bag is ideal to store the tiles as it allows you to give them a good shake before the children chose their tile.






This game, just like the board game, is conducted in rounds but each child has one letter.  In teams of 8 to 10 the children agree on one word and the score is added up.  Remember, the team with the most points wins!

Letters and values:
0 points
  • Blanks x 15 tiles you can draw something on here if you want, I went with stars
1 point
  • E x 12
  • A x 9
  • I x 9
  • O x 8
  • N x 6
  • R x 6
  • T x 6
  • x 4
  • S x 4
  • U x 4
2 points
  • D x 4
  • G x 3
3 points
  • B x 2
  • C x 2
  • M x 2
  • P x 2
4 points
  • F x 2
  • H x 2
  • V x 2
  • W x 2
  • Y x 2
5 points
  • K x 1
8 points
  • J x 1
  • X x 1
10 points
  • Q x 1
  • Z x 1

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome