10 October 2014

Only 8 sleeps!

Well, it seems I've been suffering from inertia lately. I'm not sure what's been up except maybe I'm in sync with the weather.  We've had quite a few days where it has rained all day. Plus we've been a little quiet here in the household as we prepare ourselves for our next overseas visitor.  Yes, Ross arrives a week tomorrow and we are sooo looking forward to it. So it'll be done with the cleaning and the washing and on with the fun and festivities.

Mr John has his last day at school today for the three week break between terms. This means he'll be messing with my routine but fear not, I have a few jobs lined up for him - just don't tell him!

Of course today is a huge day for the "littlest" of my three big brothers.  Yep, today Pete turns 60. OMG! How did we all get to be so old? He was the youngest 'til I came along many years later and stole his position in the family. Fortunately it's not something he's held against me.  



So in his honour, I thought I'd share a few memories whilst I'm 7,000 + miles away and he can't reach me well, what are little sisters for?
  • wearing platform shoes in the '70s when he's already over 6 foot tall
  • buying me jeans in my teenage years when I grew too tall for the pair I had my Mum wouldn't buy me any because nice girls don't wear jeans
  • playing the piano and saying "oops sorry" when he made a mistake before starting again - mostly Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata
  • the two of us on the piano playing a "honky tonk" duet version of Amazing Grace much to our mothers dismay
  • not holding my hand when walking down the street presumably because it may have ruined his street cred
  • running out of the bathroom, razor in hand, with a crazed look on his face to see which of his sisters in the house had newly shaven legs
  • reading a book and laughing so hard he nearly wet himself both indoors and on public transport I think Spike Milligan was mostly involved
  • at a family picnic, being sent with the other "I've got no children" bloke to get food that the nephews would eat and returning with only potato chips and fizzy drinks
  • being the best story teller in the family though to be fair these can take forever as he starts laughing at the next line before he's actually told any of us
Of course there are a lot more stories but not all are for public consumption the one with the shorts and panty-hose still makes me laugh out loud and no doubt the older siblings would add many more not to mention nieces and nephews who have their own dirt on him. So many happy returns to an ace big brother. We'll be having a "small sherry" here in your honour. 

Now that the AFL Grand Final and the NRL Grand Final are done and dusted, I'm not sure what we'll be up to this weekend. No doubt Mr John will have earmarked some rugby union for my viewing pleasure! Hope you all have a great weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Ross - Nephew 110 October, 2014

    I'm excited too! I just have to work out how many Baht I need and order them, what to pack for the weather, how much Mozzie spray I'll need and then buy all the cured/dried meats in Hong Kong!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a star! Will PM you with what baht we've already committed you too lol

      Delete
  2. Ross - Nephew 114 October, 2014

    and Dry Roasted Peanuts......

    Have been manic, am going to watch Argentina V HK in the football tonight. Very exciting. Will try and ring you before I go.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome