03 September 2015

Bake Today

I was having coffee with Wicus a while back and discussing how expensive a visit to Bangkok Hospital is for me because I'm not covered by a school


Actually, to be fair, the visit itself is not that bad at 500 baht but it's the cost of any prescription they give you which last time cost me an added 2500 bahtHe kindly told me of a clinic where the doctor speaks reasonable English I think her English is actually very good but she lacks practice and therefore has to think a little before saying anything and it's down near the park / lake. So I headed there when I had my recent bought of bronchitis and sure enough, my whole visit only cost me 820 baht. Winner. 

But I digress because the point of this post is to tell you about a coffee shop that is next door to the clinic and one I've been meaning to try for ages.

Bake Today's big draw is their "all cakes for 35 baht" and I've been intrigued about this for some time but being on the main road I just haven't found a reason to stop. Having visited the doctors, this seemed the perfect excuse to pop in and check it all out. 

Have you ever heard the expression "you get what you pay for"? Meaning if you don't pay much you won't get much. I think that's pretty much the situation here. Cakes around town tend to cost between 60 and 90 baht generally speaking so I'm sure you can understand my curiosity. Ignoring the doctors advice that I not have any hot drinks I'd not been out of the house for a week and felt rubbish so to hell with it, I needed a coffee and to feel like a human being I dragged Mr John into this place and afterwards, was a bit sorry I had.

The interior was "asian cute" which means there were stuffed toys everywhere which I will never understand with table and chairs to sit at. The coffee was OK and a standard "ish" price of 40 baht for latte and the cake was edible but a little on the dry side. Somehow I don't think I will be heading back here, which seems harsh because the lady behind the counter was very nice and welcoming. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome