10 October 2013

Abducted by corner shop!

Oh my! I just have to tell you about our random night out last night.  The primary school teachers we know have still been hard at lessons whilst the secondary school teachers finished their exams and marking a couple of weeks ago.  As we're all about to head off travelling to one destination or another we decided to go for a drink with some friends and we headed to La Luna and we had a lovely time sitting on the roof terrace, chatting and drinking in, what I might point out, a sensible fashion.

Just as we were settling up the bill, Mr John got a phone call via our friend Wicus (who is currently full of cold) that he couldn't quite make sense of but that involved the lovely Tom (our corner shop owner) and a beer.  So we headed back to the house.  Now Juls had to go to Bangkok today with her new school to get a teaching certificate and they were leaving at 4am.  By this time it was about 10pm and she very sensibly went back home to try and get some sleep before a massive trip in the school bus. 

When we saw Wicus, we understood why we couldn't get the gist of our message. He's been on the flu remedy stuff, was drifting pleasantly off to sleep when he was woken up by a very insistent Tom and his Mum Tan, who had decided we all needed to go out and have a dance!  So the rest of the family had gone on (a daughter and the daughters friend) and Tom took the three of us in his car.  We went to the bar opposite Orbit where we'd been for my birthday.  It was the most surreal night I think I'd ever had.  I felt like I'd been abducted and was having experiments conducted!

Wednesday nights there is a show and there was a really cool rock guy and about three other singers.  Now I don't mean to be rude, but a lot of Thai songs all sound the same and I think that's why I particularly liked the rock singer and he was known to the family so he came and had a chat. 

I thought he was a local person, but Mr John reliably informs me that he's very well known and is on billboards over here.  So I felt like a bit of an idiot because I'd asked him for a photo - you know, joining in with the spirit of the evening.  I was pretty mortified when I found out he was famous - what must he have thought!  There was also a transvestite singer who was pretty good and Mr John didn't realise it was a man for a couple of numbers.

So all across this huge space are long tables and chairs and when anyone likes the song that comes on they just stand up where they are and dance on the spot.  Tan is 11 years older than me and she put us all to shame.  She was like some sort of Duracell bunny (have you seen the ads?) she just did not stop.  Mind you, Wicus was "bustin a move" himself.

And all the time there's staff serving drinks, one minute you'd have taken a sip, next minute your glass has disappeared and is being refilled.  Then there's plates of food coming in - Mr John tucked into a plate of French fries and because he'd done that they ordered another plate - by the fourth plate Mr John was feeling kind of ill...  Of course he had a good excuse not to get up and dance having only just started walking without his crutches.  It all got a bit much for him eventually and he could be found with his eyes closed.  We finally got back home at 01:45.  Thankfully Mr John only has to sign in today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome