02 October 2013

The never ending week

So I'm writing this on my mobile at Doi Chaang, the coffee shop by the lake. Having coffee and cake with my friend Juls is a highlight of this past week. Now I don't mean that dismissively, hanging out with Juls is always really good.  I've been contemplating what to write all morning as all we've done this last week is tend to healing wounds. And then I thought, you know what, it's not always going to be glamorous and you ought to know what's going on.

After our trip to the hospital last Thursday we had to ice Mr John's foot every two hours. This might not sound complicated but it involves removing his bandage, getting him a block of ice and a cloth, his putting pain relief cream on and me putting the bandage back on. Gosh I'm exhausted just writing about it! 

The main detractor from me getting out and about was the cut on my thumb as it has prevented me gripping the throttle on the bike.  Monday saw that all change, I just stuck a plaster on it and off I went. I had broken the left wing mirror in the incident but what I hadn't realised is the right mirror has been "squished" so mostly all I can see out of that is my arse (I apologise to anyone who is sensitive to seeing body parts written down). which isn't helpful, so I must do something to rectify that soon.  Although I can now get myself around I'm no good at riding with someone on the back so poor Mr John is still effectively housebound.

I say that but he was back at school on Monday.  Thankfully all lessons have finished so the strain is off him somewhat.  There's a guy just down the road that drives a cab so he's been able to flag him down in the mornings.  What isn't great when he gets to school is the four, yes four, flights of stairs he has to use to get to his office and of course neither the toilets or the canteen are on that floor! Thankfully he mostly gets home early afternoon having done lesson plans for next term. He's back to the doctor at the hospital tomorrow and he seems to be improving which is just as well as we fly to Australia on holiday next Friday and I don't fancy having to deal with luggage on my own! 

It's made me think though, Thailand isn't really designed for people with "disabilities".  There's no lift at school, the pavements are high set (due to the volume of water) and some shopping centres don't have lifts.  Thinking about it, I've not seen a disabled person in Chan.  What does that mean?  I think I'll have a chat with Kob to find out - don't worry I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome