19 February 2014

Bangkok

There's so much to mention, I don't know where to start.  The beginning I hear you say.... good point.  On the Thursday night before Leon arrived I went to print out our hotel voucher for the weekend.  I open my emails ready to search for the confirmation when I spot an email from that morning headed up Cancellation of Booking. You what?  I was fuming.  We had the same problem when Mr John first booked the accommodation.  We thought it was a blip so we re-booked in my name.  Why so frantic?  I was determined to have a two bedroom apartment for the three of us.  When we went to Brisbane last October, my brother-in-law Graham booked one and it was the most brilliant way of spending time together whilst having sleeping privacy.

Anyway, you can imagine my panic when I find out the night before that we have nowhere to stay in Bangkok.  Determined (or some might like to call it bloody minded) I brought my dinner over from Tom's and sat with it and the computer trying to find suitable accommodation.  A chance phone call suggested the Sukumvit area and I found exactly what I was looking for.

So Friday dawned and I headed off on the big bus to Bangkok so I could check in and then get the train out to the airport to meet Leon.  Mr John managed to finish school a little early and he took a mini-bus which stopped at a taxi rank so he could get to the airport direct and meet the flight too.  He was getting a little anxious but not only made it in time, but also managed to eat a Burger King meal and have a coffee (the joys of being in the city).  And so Leon arrived, looking a little pale and tired, but in one piece.

Considering the lateness of our booking, we were really pleased with the Citadines 8 and Leon thought it was great we were all in the one place.  The hotel was very clean and the staff very friendly with a good command of English.  The apartment was not huge but perfectly adequate for us.  It was on a vibrant street with plenty of bars and restaurants and the Nana BTS only a 5 minute walk away (or less on the free hotel tuk tuk).  The best thing about the location was that the hotel was on the back half of this street which meant that it was very quiet and excellent for sleeping - so the best of both worlds really.


We decided to do a bit of sight-seeing on Saturday and thought a trip down the river would be good.  There were still protesters in the city and although not life threatening, we needed to be a bit sensible about our travel plans.  We had one of the best days....and I'll tell you all about it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome