16 June 2014

TV excitement

The weekend has been action packed.  I've mastered the one pot pasta meals, although I discovered when Mike came for dinner on Saturday that it helps if you actually put the pasta in the pot...so dinner took twice as long as it should have!

I mentioned before that John got a modest pay rise when he started his new job and he spent it all this weekend.  He'd decided he wanted to upgrade our TV package.  I told him that it was his decision and that I wasn't bothered and I meant it.  Anyway, we tried to sort it out ourselves but to no avail, so Pii Kob stepped in yet again and came with us to the shop.

Although we'd been to the shop earlier in the day they were unable to help.  I think the language barrier was the biggest issue.  The girl in the shop "helpfully" gave us the call centre number and  sort of chucked us out of the shop.  Mr John later rang the number and guess what they said....yes....we had to go into the shop.  Great!  You can imagine how thrilled Mr John was.  After all that, once Pii Kob had gone with us it only took just over an hour for the new package to appear on our set top box.  How efficient is that.

Having said I wasn't bothered, I am so excited about the channel line up we have.  There's BBC World News and I'm obsessed with the news so this is very exciting for me.  Apart from HBO (Game of Thrones people) we also have Fox and last night we got to watch the latest episode of 24: Live another day.  We both love this show and we get it on the same day as the US which is before the UK get to see it.  We've got some great film channels and most exciting of all is the Australia Network.  I believe they show Australian Rules Football (though maybe only the finals, I'm not sure).  We put it on last night only to find that the NCPO (National Council for Peace and Order) have blocked the channel presumably because Australia has put an embargo on the General and his family travelling to the country.  Fingers crossed it'll be "un-blocked" before the end of September!   

Speaking of the NCPO yesterday, in order to help return happiness to the people, there was a free showing at 11am of the movie The Legend of King Naresuan 5.  The film, set in the late 1500s, is about this Kings liberation of the Siamese from the control of Burma.  According to the Bangkok Post there were large queues and tickets went within 15 minutes at some places.  As the film is in Thai, we gave it a miss.

Of course, the World Cup soccer is on at the moment.  Although we now have the appropriate channel, we haven't seen any matches.  Mr John who's rugby obsessed is not bothered and I would like to see Australia play as we don't get into the tournament very often but the times the matches are on isn't helpful here.  The first game starts at 11pm then 2am then 5am and I think there's been one at 8am but neither of us are interested enough to either stay up or get up.  I'll just stick to the news round up as I can't see Australia raising the trophy...but you never know!!

Having this TV package makes me feel like we properly live here.  Even though it won't dominate our lives, it's strangely settling adding an element of normality to an otherwise weird but fabulous experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome