04 August 2014

Food blog?

I've been starting to worry lately that this is turning into a food blog which it was never meant to be.  I'm sure it's just a passing phase but you need to remember that there are others living with limited facility cooking and I think it always helps to get ideas.

Mr John didn't get home until about 10pm on Friday because they left Bangkok at a really bad time with traffic being a nightmare.  He had a pretty good time on the course and got to do two lots of public speaking.  This is quite amazing as he's basically a shy person.  Marvellous what standing up in front of children five days a week can do for you.

So Saturday we headed off to Macro to pick up something for tea and ended up going a little crazy money wise because we bought lamb shanks.  At 400 baht for three it was quite extravagant but oh my goodness they were delicious.  I used the electric frypan which really is just a slow cooker and made a "jus" I have to call it that because Mr John doesn't like gravy.  Add sauté potato and voila!  Even better, we also now have lamb for sandwiches in the week.

It was definitely potato weekend as I made dauphinois potato in one pan.  They weren't quite the same as those made in an oven but encouraged by my one pan pizza success I figured it was possible.

There's a variety of recipes that you can use and everyone has their own preferences.  I added onion to this one which I don't normally do but I wanted to compensate for these not being done in an oven.  And cream is hard to get here in Thailand, but the whipping cream you can get in Tesco Lotus does the trick.
  • Instead of individual ramekins I used our small (6 inch) fry pan 
  • I boiled the finely sliced potato I used one large one for about three or four minutes before putting them in the pan as I was worried they would come out raw
  • Layer up the potato with lots of black pepper, a little salt and finely sliced onion until you have no more potato
  • Pour over the carton of cream
  • Put the pan on the heat so that it is all simmering gently
  • After five minutes add a good handful of grated cheese
  • After a further five minutes (stick a fork in them to see if they're done) remove from heat and serve


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome