22 January 2015

Flatbread Crazy

Flat bread aka pitta bread is really hard to come by here and I found this great Jamie Oliver recipe that's so simple, I can't believe I've only just discovered it. Have a go, they taste better than any shop bought ones you've ever had and if I can manage to produce them in my limited facilities kitchen - imagine what you can do!

The way I work the recipe, because I don't have any scales here, is to put the yoghurt into a bowl, add the sea salt, baking powder (which is easy to get hold of here) and then just keep adding the flour until the dough feels right.This mostly involves sticking my finger in it don't panic, my hands are clean until the dough stops being "sloppy". The yoghurt pot is about 180 mls so I adjust the other ingredients measurements down accordingly mostly by guesswork but then I have been cooking a long time! Gee I hope everyone can follow these technical instructions!

We also don't have a griddle pan here but the pan we have is fairly decent and I can't say it's handicapped us in any way. Having made a few batches, here are my top tips

  • Left them cool down before eating them. In our over-excitement of the first catch we tried one straight out of the pan. Whilst there was nothing wrong with it, when we ate the rest later they were much, much nicer.
  • Put in an air-tight container to keep fresh. We had leftovers (once) and I put them in one of those zip-lock plastic bags and it was absolutely fine the next day.
  • Pop them in the toaster if you want to eat them warm. Our toaster has a "reheat" button.
The recipe says you can freeze them but we haven't tried that yet. I've no doubt it would work and I occasionally threaten to go into mass production but that hasn't happened yet either. I just find these are so quick and easy it's nothing to whip some up.

I mentioned our "reheat" button on the toaster and I spoilt Mr John the other day by doing this to warm them through. I then rubbed a cut garlic clove over the bread and made up this olive oil dip without putting garlic powder in it yuk, would always prefer the real thing and spread it over the flat-bread.

If you make the dip in a glass jar you know the type that's held jam or maybe honey, whatever then it doesn't matter if you make too much because you can put the lid on and pop it in the fridge.

1 comment:

Your comments are always welcome