23 August 2013

Learning Thai

The Thai language has 44 letters and each has a low, middle or high sound.  Our friend Kob  tries his best to teach us a little every week.  We were given a classic sentence the other day that is guaranteed to leave your Thai friends in hysterics as farang rarely get it right!  The sentence is KAI KHAI KHAI KAI which when said correctly (and each word sounds different) translates to WHO SELLS HENS EGGS.  As you can see, it's all in the pronunciation!  So we battle on - I think Mr John is doing a bit better than am (he's a whiz with numbers).

So far, in Thai, I can say "hello", "how are you", "I'm well", "no good", "thank you",  "ashtray", "I'm full",  "delicious", "how much", "chicken", "pork", and crucially, "I don't understand". Most recently I've learnt the numbers 1 - 10 but can only say them if I hold out my fingers as I go - must be some sort of Pavlov's dog thing!  It doesn't seem much when I write it down but I have to keep reminding myself we only landed 4 months ago next Monday!

Numbers - written phonetically 
1. Nueng
2. Song
3. Sam
4. See
5. Ha
6. Hok
7. Jed
8. Paed
9. Khow
10. Sip

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome