16 December 2013

I can do what??

Got to tell you, the new place is amazing.  I slept for 10 hours on Friday night - unheard of either here or abroad!  I also have to tell you about the most boring but, for me, exciting discovery of the weekend.  I have to give you the background however, so please persevere.

Doesn't look like a laundrette
We usually give our washing to "Winky" * across the road.  She's Tom's sisters girlfriend (work it out) and I don't know her name - which is very poor on my part - and she has a high pitched squeaky voice.  She speaks no English, though occasionally has some form of conversation with me which I can usually figure out through hand gestures (the polite type).  Anyway, I was so thrilled washing was so cheap when I got here and she used to put everything on hangers. 
* any Harry Potter fan will know who I'm talking about

Recently though she's split up with Tom's sister and it's hard to know where to take the washing.  It seems to have got more and more expensive, bit by bit, and to top it off I got a load back the other day that hadn't been put on hangers and one of Mr Johns' white shirts had a dirty mark on the shoulder.

I was talking at to Mr John about this and mentioned his old landlady who had a washing machine that was 30 baht a load.  She's lovely and so we popped over to see her to ask if it would be ok to use it even though we don't live there.  She's always liked Mr John and her English is very good.  She said we were welcome to use the machine but there were a lot of machines just down the road (opposite the Technical College) that we might find better.  We took a short ride and I was so excited!!

It's 20 baht a load (that's roughly 40 pence, 70 AUD cents, 0.50 euro).  What a bargain.  My load only took up half a machine - and whilst I could add more, the space for drying it is a bit of an issue.  As I was whizzing home on the bike, I was wondering if I could modify our backpack and peg the clothes to it, I'm sure they'd be dry by the time I got back flapping behind me all the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome